POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Smoke... - Smoke.jpg (1/1) : Re: Smoke... - Smoke.jpg (1/1) Server Time
1 Oct 2024 18:32:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Smoke... - Smoke.jpg (1/1)
From: Chris Huff
Date: 29 Jul 2000 17:57:49
Message: <chrishuff-E5B945.16583729072000@news.povray.org>
In article <39832631@news.povray.org>, "Bob Hughes"
<per### [at] aolcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote:

> Fairly good distribution.  Made me think of something though.  A
> tightness factor could be good, kind of like a density variable.

If you mean a way to adjust the way the particles fall off toward the
edges, that would certainlly be possible.

> I can guess that by temperature you already have a proximity thing
> going on there.  I haven't seen anything written about it to know
> what's involved.

It has nothing at all to do with proximity...the particles start out
with a certain temperature, and cool off toward 0, the ambient
temperature. Hot particles rise more quickly than cooler particles. As
the particles cool off, the smoke settles into a layer.

> What I'm thinking is that if a constraint variable were put on the
> particles which would allow for a forced closeness at a orifice then
> there would be more densely packed yet active particles.  And upon
> leaving the constrained zone they could become more diffuse and less
> active.  As one other force I'm talking about, mixed in with the
> others.  Does that seem right?  Or is there no reason to consider
> that type of thing?

Uhh, I think you should look to the particle_system patch for that. This
was supposed to be an extremely simplified particle system which doesn't
require any unofficial features, just to demonstrate a way to get smoke
to rise realistically.
Besides, what you are asking for sounds like inter-particle forces,
which are slow even in C...I have done it before in POV-Script, but the
parse times were terrible.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/